About Me

I am a long time baseball fan who became interesting in documenting the "missing" batter strikeouts a few years back as an outgrowth of my interest in the 1899 Cleveland Spiders. Grew up w/ the Big Red Machine. I now follow them and my new hometown, Detroit Tigers. Member of SABR off and on since 1979.

Monday, January 3, 2011

New Years 2011 Update

Been a little while since my last post, with the holidays and all.

Here is some of the data I have been able to update and where I got it from:



12/06/10 Louisville 1898 Times scans of some pbp
12/06/10 Philadelphia 1908 Evening Telegraph scans of Sept missing games
12/06/10 St. Louis  1907 Globe Democrat 1st scans from S Hastead - thru Apr 24
12/09/10 New York 1910 Evening Telegram FultonHistory - up through mid-July - referred by Ed Morton
12/10/10 St. Louis  1901 Globe Democrat more scans from D Ispring - July/Aug
12/11/10 Baltimore 1901-02 American Found in Google Archives - referred by Ed Morton
12/11/10 Milwaukee 1901 Journal Found in Google Archives  
12/13/10 Baltimore 1901-2 Morning Herald Found in Google Archives - referred by Ed Morton
12/14/10 Baltimore 1897-99 American Found in Google Archives  
12/14/10 St. Louis  1907 Globe Democrat more scans from S Halstead - thru May 30
12/17/10 St. Louis  1901 Globe Democrat rest of 1901 scans from D Ispring
12/20/10 Philadelphia 1910 Evening Telegraph scans of July arrived
12/21/10 St. Louis  1907 Globe Democrat rest of 1907 scans - working on July/Aug review
12/22/10 St. Louis  1907 Globe Democrat Sept/Oct


I have gleaned information from a number of sources during the course of this work - this is a good example of that.

About mid-2010, I was doing a search for Honus Wagner in Google and discovered that Google had a Newspaper Archives of many older papers (http://news.google.com/newspapers).  That search pointed me to the Pittsburg Press, a paper which I had used in the past for its batter strikeouts in the box scores.  In the past, I had had the Carnegie Library in Pittsburgh run copies of the box scores for me - now I could get them myself (Ironically, I had already, in essence, finished my need for the Press as I had already completed 1897-1909 Pittsburgh, its entire missing run).   Anyway, early in December, my Philly assistance, Ed Morton, mentioned to me that he had seen the Baltimore American in the Google News Archives as well.  Further looking by me (and Ed) found the Balt. Morning Herald, the Milwaukee Journal, and the Philadelphia Record.

The American, Morning Herald, and the Journal were all critical finds for me as the 1901 AL was one of the seasons where I needed the most help - primarily in Milwaukee, Baltimore, and Washington.   While none of these papers had batter strikeouts in the boxscores, I found a number batter strikeout mentions in the game accounts (Morning Herald better than American and Journal only sparsely).  Incrementally, I was able to raise my overall complete percentage for the 1901 AL from 78.2% to 82.2% - pretty significant when dealing with game account gleaning.  1902 also improved (due to Balt) up to 81.8%.

Online resources such as this and LOC Chronicling America, GeneologyBank.com (pay), Brooklyn Eagle.com, LA84 (Sporting Life), Proquest Historical Newspapers (pay) have made my job much easier in the past couple of years.  This is especially true in light of my local library discontinuing the ability to do InterLibrary loans of microfilm.  

I have been working on entering 1910 data
That's about all I have for now.

I am going to be on tonight's Seamheads.com webcast for those who might be listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts