About Me

I am a long time baseball fan who became interesting in documenting the "missing" batter strikeouts a few years back as an outgrowth of my interest in the 1899 Cleveland Spiders. Grew up w/ the Big Red Machine. I now follow them and my new hometown, Detroit Tigers. Member of SABR off and on since 1979.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Some song musings - Mary Hopkin

I have kind of been taking a break from baseball research.   A couple of months ago, with a big help from Ed Morton of Philadelphia, I wrote a article on a 1890 player by the name of William T Stecher, who had a 1 year career of 0-10 and an ERA over 10.   Both of those represent records for a career.
I wrote it to be part of the SABR Philly convention publication coming up in July/August.   Now I have to wait and see if I made the cut.   If I didn't, I figure it will be a good BioProj entry.

While I am contemplating my next baseball writing adventure, either Mt. Clemens, MI and ball players rehabbing there or a game by game history of the Cincinnati Kid Glove game, I have decided to write a little bit about my other "hobby", music.

I have sung in local choirs off and on for a number of years and have been a lover of most forms of music for many moons. 

I have 4745 "items" in my iTunes direectory - needless to say, I have not listened to every track multiple times.   Some of these are from musicals and classical arrangements that I loaded onto iTunes from my CD collection a few years ago.  

I grew up in the '70's and my earliest recollection of music goes back to when I was around 6 or 7.   In fact, I just bought a couple of songs that I remembered from this period.

The first one, Mary Hopkin "Those Were the Days", which got to #2 on the Billboard charts.   Doing a little research (via Wiki and Joel Whitburn), I founs that Hopkin was the first artist to be signed to the fledgling Apple label.   Pretty cool.

This song has always had a great haunting quality to it for me in addition to the story.    I don't remember what show I originally heard/saw this on, but I do remember it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KODZtjOIPg


While I was buying that one, I downloaded her other big hit, "Goodbye".   Again, Her voice was a wonderful haunting sound. 


That's all for today.  I will post other songs and recollections as I can.

Hope you enjoyed the songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts